Sunday, July 26, 2009

Buttermilk Cornmeal Pancakes with Blueberry Syrup


I know I know, I already made these, and I did, sort of. I had many issues with the blueberries in the pancakes last time... I have one kid who loves blueberries, but doesn't like them
in the pancake, another who didn't want them at all, and honestly they're a bit of a pain to make, plus they burned on my skillet (I'm still trying to scrape them off). This time I skipped them in the pancake and made an awesome Blueberry Syrup. It was a huge hit with all the children and dad, so it's a keeper. Doesn't hurt that it was way easy to make!

Buttermilk Cornmeal Pancakes, adapted from Martha Stewart

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
½ cup cornmeal
¼ cup sugar
1 ¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ cups buttermilk
¼ cup milk
3 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
1 egg, lightly beaten

1. Melt butter and allow to cool while you prep.
2. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and soda in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Whisk together buttermilk, milk, butter, egg and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl.
4. Add wet mixture to dry, stir until just combined.
5. Pour ¼ batter per pancake, turn when edges are just brown.

Tip: Keep cooked pancakes on a baking sheet in a 200° oven until you’re ready to serve.

Blueberry Syrup

2 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup water
½ cup sugar

Bring blueberries, water and sugar to a boil over medium-high heat. Mash the blueberries with the back of spoon and continue to boil for about 3-5 minutes. Serve hot over pancakes.


Print this post

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I LOVE cornmeal pancakes!!!