Mmmmmm, this Chicken Parmesan was so yummy and guess what, I hid some veggies in it, so it was good for the kids too! I had planned to use my little home grown tomato in the sauce, but decided to just slice it fresh in a salad. Well, you just can't go wrong with Italian food, red wine and fresh crusty bread :)
4 Chicken Breasts, boneless, skinless
1 ½ cups Italian Bread Crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
¾ cup flour
1 28oz can Crushed Tomatoes with Basil
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
½ Large Onion, diced
1 Celery Stalk, diced
½ Yellow Squash, diced
1 Medium Carrot, diced
1 tsp dried Oregano
1 Mozzarella Ball, sliced
¼ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese, plus 1 Tbs
2 Tbs Olive Oil
1. Steam/Cook vegetables. I recommend placing them in a microwave safe bowl, just cover with water and microwave for about 1-2 minutes, until soft. Sautee onions and garlic until soft and translucent. In a medium sauce pan, combine crushed tomatoes, onion and garlic, cooked vegetables, oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Heat sauce on low.
* If you have time, skip the precook steps for the onion, garlic and vegetables and combine uncooked, then heat sauce on low for 1.5 hours.
2. Heat oven to 475 degrees.
3. Pound chicken evenly thin. Place flour, along with salt and pepper to taste in a shallow dish. Set up a second dish with your beaten eggs, and a third dish with mixed bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Heat olive oil on medium-medium high in a large, oven safe pan. Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off any excess. Coat chicken with egg, then dredge in bread crumb mixture, again shaking off any excess. Brown chicken in olive oil, about 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
4. Spoon tomato sauce over each chicken breast, cover breasts with Mozzarella slices and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Baked in oven until chicken is cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
Serve over noodle of choice.
Tip: If you do not have an oven safe pan, you can use a tin foil covered baking dish, coated with cooking spray.
Print this post