Sunday, August 02, 2009

Snickerdoodle Muffins aka Cinnamon Crunch Muffins


I've seen snickerdoodle cookies, but never actually tried one... so although these are supposed to be snickerdoodle muffins, I'm not sold on the name, so I'm renaming them Cinnamon Crunch Muffins. They are a seriously yummy breakfast muffin, or... just happen to be cruising by the kitchen, grab one off the counter muffin...whatever.

The kids can be really funny about muffins, so imagine my surprise when these Cinnamon muffins were gone in less than 24 hours...can we say HIT?!?

I admit they were a bit of work, and I think I'll refrigerate the dough for maybe 15 minutes before trying to 'roll' them. I use the term roll lightly, they actually ended up more like blobs that I dumped in cinnamon sugar. Rolling was not gonna happen, so I ended up spooning the cinnamon sugar over the blobs until well coated.


However you do it, who cares, no one is going to see your funky blobs, they just want good muffins!





Cinnamon Crunch Muffins

8oz unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
¾ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp cream of tartar
¾ tsp nutmeg
1 ¼ cup sour cream
2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar and 2-3 Tbs cinnamon mixed together for rolling (shallow bowl).

Preheat oven to 350°.

1. Cream butter and sugar until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add the vanilla, mix on medium. Add eggs one at a time and mix until each is incorporated.

2. In a separate mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar, and nutmeg.

3. Add the flour mixture and the sour cream alternately to the egg-butter mixture. Start with and end with the flour. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.

4. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out muffin batter (leveled), one at a time and drop into cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll the muffin until well covered, or like me, spoon cinnamon sugar over the blob until well coated. Place muffins in ungreased/unlined muffin tins and bake about 20-22 minutes or until cinnamon sugar top is well cracked.

Tips:
1. If the dough seems real real wet, don't add all the sour cream.
2. Refrigerate dough 10-15 minutes before rolling in cinnamon sugar.


Print this post

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Oy vay! mama you are killing me with all this yumminess!! :) The wonderful photos really sell me on trying these! lol...

They kinda remind of those Hostess Coffee cake sqaure thingys.